Tuesday, August 9, 2016

A Spinning adventure

As many of you know...I've been knitting about 7 years now. I started to get bored and needed a new challenge... so I started dreaming about something new. Spinning!!  I started out using a home made drop spindle.  Fun...but slow. I needed something more...

So I started to look on YouTube at all the spinning adventures. I was then looking for a spinning wheel. I found one for $85.   Not a bad price to start with...considering the prices I've now seen for wheels! Talk about ouch! Anyhow, I bought the wheel and brought it home...where it sat for 3 months collecting dust.  I quite honestly was intimidated. 

I finally broke down and tried to get going on it. Talk about frustration!  I wasn't any good at learning how to drive a stick...so it was a rough start learning how to get the wheel going in one direction, getting the yarn to go onto the bobbin...ect. too many moving parts. Lol
I kept on.  I am in a few groups for spinning on facebook.  Someone gave me a world of advice: listen to slow rythem music while treadling in order to slow down the treadle. So many moving parts.  FINALLY, after a few months something clicked!

I started 2 plying with threads. Just recently I started plying on itself....and WOW!! what a difference!

I've since created some beautiful yarns.

No comments:

Post a Comment